The Price Action Is Warning Us
- Posted by JC Parets
- on February 6th, 2013
Here’s something that worries me about the Stock Market today. The swings are getting bigger, not smaller. So volatility is expanding. The S&P500, therefore, is putting in somewhat of a broadening formation. Definitely not a check mark for the bulls.
And if it was just that, then maybe it could be brushed off. But it’s where it’s happening that gives it validity. As you can see in the daily bar chart below, we’re at the upper end of this multi-month trend channel:
So I don’t want to be Mr. Uber-Bear up here. But I think it’s worth noting that stocks are definitely vulnerable. And not just because we’ve gone up so much, but because there is actually price evidence.
Take a look at a longer-term chart showing the consistency of the sell-offs when we approach this upper trendline:
All I’m saying is that it’s prudent to be extra careful. We’re no longer giving this monster uptrend the benefit of the doubt. To me it’s guilty until proven innocent. At least in the short-term.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) and is a member of the Market Technicians Association. More
- Register Now For Access To All Of Our Charts
- Rates Can Take A Long Time To Bottom
- Are Coal Stocks Poised for an Epic Breakout?
- Small Caps Act Poorly On a Relative Basis
- Bond Market Keeps Diverging With Stocks
- The Worst Possible Time to Own Gasoline
- Momentum Monday with Howard Lindzon
- FOX Business: Brazil Over Germany This Summer
- What Do You Think About Bonds?
- Buying Brazil and Selling Germany
Archive by Year