The Price Action Is Warning Us
- Posted by JC Parets
- on February 6th, 2013
Here’s something that worries me about the Stock Market today. The swings are getting bigger, not smaller. So volatility is expanding. The S&P500, therefore, is putting in somewhat of a broadening formation. Definitely not a check mark for the bulls.
And if it was just that, then maybe it could be brushed off. But it’s where it’s happening that gives it validity. As you can see in the daily bar chart below, we’re at the upper end of this multi-month trend channel:
So I don’t want to be Mr. Uber-Bear up here. But I think it’s worth noting that stocks are definitely vulnerable. And not just because we’ve gone up so much, but because there is actually price evidence.
Take a look at a longer-term chart showing the consistency of the sell-offs when we approach this upper trendline:
All I’m saying is that it’s prudent to be extra careful. We’re no longer giving this monster uptrend the benefit of the doubt. To me it’s guilty until proven innocent. At least in the short-term.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) and is a member of the Market Technicians Association. More
- Video: The Rise of Charting in Social Media
- YUM Brands & China Are 2 Different Things
- This Base in Cotton Looks Ready To Go
- Let’s Talk About “Sell in May and Go Away”
- About That Monster Base In Heating Oil
- Money Rotates Into Late Cycle Names
- Why Energy Is Better Than Technology
- Top 10 Most Ridiculous Names For Japanese Candlesticks
- MOO is Looking Beefy These Days
- Energy Looks Intriguing On A Relative Basis
Archive by Year