The First Two Months of 2013
- Posted by JC Parets
- on February 28th, 2013
My, my, how time flies!
Doesn’t it feel like just yesterday we were starting out the year with the Dow up 300 points?
Anyway, I think now is probably as good a time as any to reflect on what we’ve seen over the last couple of months. Here is a performance chart showing how each of the S&P sectors have done so far this year relative to the S&P500. It’s a good way for us to see where the strength is coming from as we approach these all-time highs in the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P500.
The best two sectors for 2013 have been Consumer Staples and Healthcare!
The worst areas so far this year are easily Technology and Materials – funny how much they stand out in this chart with their fluorescent coloring.
I think this is probably something we should pay attention to. If the market averages want to keep ripping, some of the more cyclical areas better start participating. This defensive leadership is not what we want to see.
And here’s same chart showing just the past month. The leaders were Staples and Utilities. Materials and Consumer Cyclicals were the worst:
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- The Overhead Supply Is Near
- Canadian Dollars Are About To Explode Higher
- Gold Looks Ready For Its Next Leg Lower
- Video: Technical Analysis Webinar by JC Parets
- Is Yen Setting Up For An Epic Rally?
- Emerging Markets Are Still A Problem
- Find Your Edge: The Autumn 2015 AlphaShark Trading Symposium with a Presentation by J.C. Parets
- Can Financials Correct 30% From Their Highs?
- Overhead Supply in the Dow Components
- Overhead Supply in Healthcare & Biotech
Archive by Year