Is a Big Shift Coming in the Yen?
- Posted by JC Parets
- on December 11th, 2012
The Yen is always an interesting topic of conversation. For so long we’ve grown accustomed to higher prices, specifically against the US Dollar. But we could be in the beginning stages of a secular shift in money flow.
Let’s first look at the chart of $USDJPY showing the declining value of US Dollars relative to the Yen over the past five years. This trend obviously goes back a lot further, but this is the most recent decline (advance in Yen):
Right off the bat, we can see the downtrend from the 2007 highs is now broken. During last year’s fresh lows in dollar/yen, our momentum indicators were already putting in a series of higher lows. This bullish divergence in RSI is the seconds bullish characteristic we see here. Next, we are seeing overbought readings in RSI with support near 40; more signs of a bull trend. The last thing we want to see is a breakout near the 85 level showing that not only do we have higher lows in price, but now we’d also have higher highs. This is our definition of an uptrend.
My pal Ron William was on Bloomberg TV this morning and did a nice job of incorporating intermarket analysis into this conversation. The founder of RW Market Advisory and fellow Chartered Market Technician not only brings up the $USDJPY chart, but also looks at the Yen relative to the Euro and Gold. In his opinion, all of these signal that a change in trend could be upon us:
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) in 2008 and now actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice More
- I Like It Best When The Patterns Don’t Work
- Stocktoberfest 2014 October 26-28 Coronado
- The Relative Strength in Belgium and Switzerland Stands Out
- Video: Looking For Investing Opportunities Around the World
- Why America is the Best in the World?
- Webinar: Technical Analysis To Find Profitable Opportunities Around the World
- Was That A Failed Breakout in the US Dollar?
- Radio: Larry Kofsky & JC Parets from NYSE
- This Chart Still Suggests Buying Bonds and Selling Stocks
- Fox Business: US Stocks Are Heading Lower
Archive by Year