Individuals Get the Most Optimistic in a Year
- Posted by JC Parets
- on July 12th, 2013
Investor sentiment is definitely something we think is important to monitor. But because of the week-to-week noise that is associated with some of these polls, it’s not anything we’re going to make portfolio-altering decisions from it too often. But when bulls or bears hit certain extremes that are seen less frequently, it stands out to us.
Today I wanted to point to the fact that right now nearly 3 out of every 4 investors are expecting stocks to rally over the next 6 months. This according to the latest survey of individual investors from AAII. The chart below comes from Sentiment Trader and shows the last several times that the Bull ratio was above 70%:
We’ve seen bulls hit extremes like this in the past. A lot of times the market consolidates either through price or time in the short-term. But historically these particular levels of optimism haven’t necessarily been a negative signal over the long-term. I thought that was interesting.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- Are Utilities Breaking Out Relative to S&Ps?
- A Non-Random Walk Through Canadian Dollars
- Fox Business: Retail Stocks & Government Shutdowns
- United Technologies Breaks Out vs S&P500!
- Latin America Hits 9-Year Lows vs Emerging Markets
- My One-On-One Interview With CEO.CA
- What’s There Not To Like About REITs?
- ABC News: Do We Buy Gold or other Metals?
- What Are The Best Sectors In America?
- Fox Business: Metals and Treasury Bonds
Archive by Year