If this is the Gold Bottom, it’s Totally Random
- Posted by JC Parets
- on June 26th, 2013
When I look at the chart of gold, I ask myself like everyone else, “Is this the bottom?” And sure, no one knows for sure. But I’ll tell you this: if it is the bottom, it’s coming at a completely random level. So it’s not something I’d be betting on.
Here is a weekly bar chart of Gold futures. Look at the breakdown below this descending triangle that formed after the big April sell-off. The measured move of that pattern takes you lower. And the Fibonacci Retracements off the 2008 lows also take you lower.
So is this the bottom in precious metals? Possibly. But I really doubt it….
Those 1150s seem to be a logical area. We’ve seen support there in the past. And the measured moves from the recent triangle, as well as the big 2011-2013 topping pattern take you into that area. I personally would be much more interested down there.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) in 2008 and now actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice More
- About Those Failed Breakouts in Dow and S&P
- Global Macro Webinar: Thurs October 2, 2014
- Micro-caps Approach Important Support
- My Favorite Currency Chart in the World
- Crude Oil Approaches Very Important Support
- S&P500 At Historic Highs Relative to Gold Miner ETF GDX
- Small-Caps & Mid-Caps Break 2009 Uptrend Line
- BNN Video: Small-Caps, Silver & Dollar Index
- I Get Them Wrong Too!
- Small-Caps Hit 2-year Lows vs Large Caps
Archive by Year