Gold Rallies Back To Broken Support
- Posted by JC Parets
- on July 22nd, 2013
After its historic breakdown in June, Gold has now rallied all the way back to levels that had served as support for several months. This has a lot of the Gold bulls all excited as we start the new week. But can we really trust this rally? Should we? I’m still not convinced.
On the first day of Technical Analysis kindergarten, we are taught the theory of polarity. This is the one where former support then turns into resistance and vice versa. So when we look at this chart, should we ignore what we were taught on Day 1?
I’ll say this: it’s certainly not a place where I would want to be buying. But shorting into this range is probably not the best idea either, at least not yet. To buy here is dangerous, in my opinion, because we’re running right into this former support. But we also have a downtrend line from the April highs. So there just seems to be too much overhead supply for my taste.
But to short here as the metal is ripping can be a tough trade as well. I’d at least let this thing try to break through and fail to have something to short against. This helps with the risk management. On the long side, if we do break this downtrend line, and do clear former support levels (both big IFs), then we’ll reevaluate and see if the long side of the Gold trade presents a favorable risk/reward.
But heading into the new week, there doesn’t seem to be anything to do here. At least not in the time frame we’re talking about in this post.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) in 2008 and now actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice More
- The Relative Strength in Belgium and Switzerland Stands Out
- Video: Looking For Investing Opportunities Around the World
- Why America is the Best in the World?
- Webinar: Technical Analysis To Find Profitable Opportunities Around the World
- Was That A Failed Breakout in the US Dollar?
- Radio: Larry Kofsky & JC Parets from NYSE
- This Chart Still Suggests Buying Bonds and Selling Stocks
- Fox Business: US Stocks Are Heading Lower
- S&P500 Breaks the 2009 Uptrend Line
- The Bond Market Still Says: “Sell Stocks”
Archive by Year