Fibonacci Retracements Levels for S&P500
- Posted by JC Parets
- on November 9th, 2011
We just saw a 20% move in the S&P500 off the October 4th lows. A break here is obviously well-deserved. The question now becomes – how low do we go? So I can’t think of a better time to call up our old buddy Leonardo Fibonacci.
When putting together Fibonacci levels, some like to use extreme highs & lows and other technicians use closing numbers. I like to use both and look for a zone of potential support. In the chart below, the heavy lines use the extremes and the lighter lines are using closing numbers:
It looks like there is some pretty big time support around 1210-1215 and then 1180-1190 after that. The 50 day moving average has been rising, which is a positive, and gives those levels additional weight.
These Fibonacci Retracements keep coming into play. Even if you don’t care for them, enough people do that if you’re trading actively, you have to recognize that they’re there. Don’t catch falling knives, but look for pivot points to trade off of. I’ve seen it a million times. These pivot points keep coming off these levels.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- Look What Mid-Caps are Doing
- Fox Business: Crude Oil and Japan
- Webinar Tuesday November 18th: Technical Analysis to Find Global Stock Market Trends
- Radio: Winning On Wall Street – Stocks & Bonds
- Why Economists Will Get Bonds Wrong Again
- Palladium Is Still The Best of the Metals
- Mean Reversion Coming In Energy Futures?
- A Breakdown of the US Dollar Index
- About That Bear Market In Russia
- Featured in November Issue of Traders’ Magazine
Archive by Year