Don’t Forget About That Energy Breakout
- Posted by JC Parets
- on February 19th, 2013
A little bit over a month ago we pointed to the high likelihood of Energy breaking out on a relative basis. That consolidation that we had seen since September was just too tight and too clean for us to ignore. In addition, momentum as measured by RSI hadn’t reached oversold conditions since mid-summer. These bullish characteristics signaled to us that a breakout was probably coming.
Since then, we have seen $XLE relative to the S&P500 get above its downtrend line and hold above what are now rising 50 and 200 day moving averages (blue & red dotted lines). At this point, the price action is flirting with the September highs and remains in full fledged bull mode:
We continue to think that this is in the beginning stages of a bigger shift towards Energy. Remember that this space had been underperforming for 2 years. This is no joke, we’re talking about energy here – not 3D printers and rare earth metals. These Energy names are some of the largest companies on the planet.
So keep these guys on your radar – Exxon Mobil ($XOM), Chevron ($CVX), Conoco ($COP). I don’t think this is over. And $OIH – the Oil Services Sector is doing something similar – Schlumberger ($SLB), Halliburton ($HAL), Transocean ($RIG). It looks to me like the relative outperformance is probably just getting going.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He earned the Chartered Market Technician designation (CMT) in 2008 and now actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice More
- The Relative Strength in Belgium and Switzerland Stands Out
- Video: Looking For Investing Opportunities Around the World
- Why America is the Best in the World?
- Webinar: Technical Analysis To Find Profitable Opportunities Around the World
- Was That A Failed Breakout in the US Dollar?
- Radio: Larry Kofsky & JC Parets from NYSE
- This Chart Still Suggests Buying Bonds and Selling Stocks
- Fox Business: US Stocks Are Heading Lower
- S&P500 Breaks the 2009 Uptrend Line
- The Bond Market Still Says: “Sell Stocks”
Archive by Year