Does the Market Care We’re At May Highs?
- Posted by JC Parets
- on July 16th, 2013
A few of the major US stock market averages have already exceeded their May highs, in particular the Russell2000, Nasdaq100 and the Russell MicroCap Index. But some of the important ones still have not. Today I want to take a look at the S&P500, which has rallied 3 straight weeks to get back up to former resistance. Should we care? Is this something we should act on?
Here’s the chart of the S&P500 Index:
Approaching this week with a level head and an open mind, I ask myself, Is this somewhere I want to be buying? Well, can we just blow right past this resistance and keep going on to all-time highs without looking back? Sure, the market can do anything I suppose. But is that the high probability move? It’s not to me.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average is in the same boat. Here we are, right back to May resistance:
So will the Dow and S&P just keep ripping without at least temporarily acknowledging these levels? I can’t put my money behind that thesis with a straight face. At least not as of this morning.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- Technical Analysis Only Looks At The Past….
- An Open Letter About Today’s Market Environment 11-24-15
- What Is The Value Line Index Telling Us?
- We Don’t Live In An Average World
- Flat 200 Day Moving Averages Create Headaches
- An Open Letter About Today’s Market Environment
- Why Airlines Are Ready For Another Leg Lower
- Is FANG This Cycle’s Four Horsemen?
- Why I Like To Feed The Ducks When I Can
- Here’s Way I think Rates Are Heading Lower
Archive by Year