Does the Market Care We’re At May Highs?
- Posted by JC Parets
- on July 16th, 2013
A few of the major US stock market averages have already exceeded their May highs, in particular the Russell2000, Nasdaq100 and the Russell MicroCap Index. But some of the important ones still have not. Today I want to take a look at the S&P500, which has rallied 3 straight weeks to get back up to former resistance. Should we care? Is this something we should act on?
Here’s the chart of the S&P500 Index:
Approaching this week with a level head and an open mind, I ask myself, Is this somewhere I want to be buying? Well, can we just blow right past this resistance and keep going on to all-time highs without looking back? Sure, the market can do anything I suppose. But is that the high probability move? It’s not to me.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average is in the same boat. Here we are, right back to May resistance:
So will the Dow and S&P just keep ripping without at least temporarily acknowledging these levels? I can’t put my money behind that thesis with a straight face. At least not as of this morning.
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- Fox Business: Internet & Social Media Stocks
- About That Breakout In The New York Stock Exchange Composite
- Audio: Benzinga Morning Radio Show 2-26-15
- My Favorite Gap And Go Setup in Real Time
- Free Talk At The New York Traders Expo
- Are Social Media Stocks About To Break Out?
- BNN Appearance: Internet Stocks & Natural Gas
- Here’s Why I Like Healthcare
- Video: Chart Requests From The Community
- Audio: Benzinga Morning Radio Show 2-19-15
Archive by Year