Stock Market Rallies Since 1900
- Posted by JC Parets
- on July 17th, 2013
I think it’s important every now and then to take a step back and really compare today’s market environment to similar circumstances throughout history. It helps to gain some perspective on where we are and where we’ve been. And maybe, some of that information can shed some light on where we’re going.
Today’s Chart of the Day plots every Dow rally in terms of both magnitude and duration. Rallies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average, according to this chart, represent any advance that came after a 30% decline. There have been 13 such instances since 1900, which on average is one every 8.5 years or so.
Here is the chart showing how our current stock market rally (off the March 2009 lows) is below average in both magnitude and duration:
The good folks at Chart of the Day also note that when you compare the current advance to the most recent post-major bear market rally (i.e. the rally that began in 2002), this bull market is significantly greater in magnitude but also accomplished this feat in less time. I thought that was interesting. But if you go back further in history, this “huge rally” is really nothing special. At least not yet…
Full Disclosure: Nothing on this site should ever be considered to be advice, research or an invitation to buy or sell any securities, please see my Terms & Conditions page for a full disclaimer.blog comments powered by Disqus
J.C. Parets is the Founder & President of Eagle Bay Capital, LLC. He is a 10-year veteran and Market Technician who actively manages money incorporating Technical Analysis and Behavioral Finance into his practice. JC’s work has been featured regularly on CNBC, Fox Business, Bloomberg, Business News Network, Wall Street Journal and Yahoo Finance among many other financial media outlets. More...
- Canadian Dollars Are About To Explode Higher
- Gold Looks Ready For Its Next Leg Lower
- Video: Technical Analysis Webinar by JC Parets
- Is Yen Setting Up For An Epic Rally?
- Emerging Markets Are Still A Problem
- Find Your Edge: The Autumn 2015 AlphaShark Trading Symposium with a Presentation by J.C. Parets
- Can Financials Correct 30% From Their Highs?
- Overhead Supply in the Dow Components
- Overhead Supply in Healthcare & Biotech
- Thinking Out Loud Heading Into Q4
Archive by Year